SPRINGFIELD, MO — The Springfield-Greene County Park Board is pleased to announce the return of the popular SilverSneakers program starting Monday, April 19, at Chesterfield, Dan Kinney and Doling family center locations.
SilverSneakers group exercise classes offer instructor-led low- to moderate-intensity workouts for adults age 65+, providing physical benefits and enhancing social and psychological well-being.
SilverSneakers classes were suspended in March 2020 when city COVID-related emergency orders closed all non-essential facilities, including family centers. Due to occupancy limits and other prevention factors, SilverSneakers was not able to resume when family enters reopened in May 2020.
Classes are able to resume following the City of Springfield’s April 16 transition to the Yellow Phase of the Road to Recovery, which lifts Springfield’s 50-percent occupancy limits.
While there’s still a risk of COVID spread among group gatherings, the occupancy change, along with statewide vaccination rates approaching 60 percent for ages 65-74 and even higher for ages 75-84, combined allow SilverSneakers classes to resume with minor modifications, including:
- Per City ordinance, all members, guests and staff must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth upon entering the building and while in common areas, including lobbies and restrooms. Face coverings are not required while exercising.
- All persons entering a Family Center must have their temperature taken at stand-alone scanners at the entrance. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 or higher will not be admitted and may not return for 24 hours.
- Sign an attendance roster to assist with contact tracing and notifications.
- Classes take place with plenty of room for distancing and air circulation. Continue to distance yourself from others before, during and after class. Avoid congregating in groups, handshakes, hi-fives and hugs.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before the start of class.
- Do not share equipment with others during class. All equipment will be disinfected by staff after use. Check Family Center pages online for class schedules:
SilverSneakers class schedules are posted at:
The Park Board, and especially Family Center staff, would like to thank our loyal SilverSneakers customers for staying in touch this past year while programs were on hold. Staff members have been eager to restore these programs, and greatly appreciate customers' patience and understanding as the Park Board worked through necessary safety precautions to prevent spread of COVID.
For media inquiries, contact Jenny Fillmer Edwards, Public Information Administrator for the Springfield-Greene County Park Board, at 417-224-5510.