Silver Springs Park was established in 1918 on land known as the old Fairbanks pasture, and later named for a spring on site, flowing into Jordan Creek. During segregation, Silver Springs was the city’s only public park designated for black residents and accompanying sports leagues, including semi-pro baseball. The WPA built fieldstone retaining walls and the first Silver Springs Pool, and lined the creek channel with rock in the 1930s. Silver Springs Park is the site of the annual Park Day Reunion, celebrated with a parade, a beauty pageant, concerts and a barbeque picnic on the first weekend in August. Silver Springs is home to Timmons Hall and is part of the African-American Heritage Trail. Silver Springs Park has a playground, picnic pavilion, swimming pool, ball field, basketball courts and tennis courts. The Jordan Creek Greenway also connects the park to Smith Park and Jordan Valley Park.