Liberty School was originally located near what is now Fellows Lake north of Springfield. It served as a school for the community from the mid-1800s to the time of its consolidation with the Fair Grove district in 1951. Adaptions were made to the exterior and rebuilt and followed current building and ADA requirements. The floors, blackboard, bell tower, and many desks were originally part of the school, as it was under operation.
Sponsorship with the Friends of the Farmstead or the Friends of the Garden allows for the on-going maintenance of the historic buildings as well as developing future displays, programs and activities.